Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Things of My Soul

by Dale J. Neilson

© Latter-day Times Newspapers


Welcome to Round 2 of Our Blog

Because you’re here for another installment of The Things of My Soul, we must be doing something right. Right?

Except that I missed this column in September. So I’ll write two in October.

Last time, I wrote that the Oquirrh Mountain Temple dedication had a deep affect upon me. As this column already documented, I felt an abundance of the Holy Ghost at both the Draper and Oquirrh Mountain temples before dedicatory services.
The Spirit at each was beyond words. It was tremendous.

Opportunities to visit Houses of the Lord should be revered and filled passionately. The late, great, President Gordon B. Hinckley said the highest form of service is doing that for others what they can’t do for themselves. Where better than in the temples of the Lord?

Performing proxy ordinances benefits more than the dead. It stirs up the Spirit of the Lord in those serving in the temple. We receive revelations on completing our responsibilities in our families, church callings, professions and dealing with people and our lives in general. We learn how to demonstrate charity and be a good example to others.

We learn what our loving Heavenly Father would have us do in literally standing as His witnesses at all times and in all things and places even until death. We do these things because we seek redemption from Him to gain place in the First Resurrection and eternal life. (Mosiah 18:9) “This is the desire of our hearts.” (Mosiah 18:11)

There is no better way to learn of Him than participation in general conference, which is today and tomorrow, Oct. 3-4, in the church conference center. The speakers’ messages of hope are spiritually riveting and always strengthen those seeking truth.

As always, those who don’t attend can always tune into TV, radio and Internet broadcasts.

I usually take notes while tuning in via TV with my family. Note-taking provides me with immediate information in my own words, which helps with future Family Home Evening lessons, home teaching and other general conference discussions. Sometimes, I receive personal revelation in the midst of taking notes, which is also documented.

Taking notes also forces me to pay complete attention to these inspired talks.

Of course there is always the Ensign church magazine, which has the complete text of each address. Sometimes though, it doesn’t arrive in the mail for a few weeks. I use my notes in the meantime and it becomes the conference supplement when the Ensign arrives.

Listening to the prophets testify of truth “is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth” (Romans 1:16).

I testify that obeying the Lord’s commandments means we listen to our inspired leaders and follow His counsel. This is the way He’s always directed and will direct His people.

Attending the holy temple whenever possible, following our inspired leaders’ counsel and obeying all our Heavenly Father’s commandments is what He would always have us do.

No comments:

Post a Comment